The Legatum Institute, a London based mostly analysis institute launched on Thursday its 10th annual world Prosperity Index, an enormous survey that ranks essentially the most affluent international locations on this planet.
The amount of cash a rustic has is one issue of prosperity, however the Legatum Institute considers way more than that in its rating.
The organisation in contrast 104 variables to give you its listing. These variables embrace conventional indicators like per-capita gross home product and the variety of individuals in full-time work, but additionally extra attention-grabbing figures such because the variety of safe web servers a rustic has, and the way well-rested individuals really feel on a day-to-day foundation.
The variables are then cut up into 9 subindexes: financial high quality, enterprise atmosphere, governance, training, well being, security and safety, private freedom, social capital, and pure atmosphere.
The index regarded on the 149 international locations on this planet which have essentially the most obtainable information. For the final seven years of the index, Norway has taken the highest spot, however in 2016 a brand new nation is the world’s most affluent.
Discover out the outcomes beneath.
25. Portugal — Portugal ranked inside the highest 50 international locations globally in all however one sub-index, however scored highest in private freedom, the place it was 10th general.
23. Hong Kong — Though Hong Kong’s standing as an impartial nation shouldn’t be recognised by the United Nations, it nonetheless options on the Prosperity Index, and does fairly effectively. Hong Kong has the 4th greatest enterprise atmosphere wherever on earth.
22. Japan — Japan could also be battling financial stagnation, however it’s nonetheless one of many world’s most affluent nations, rating third for security and safety, and 4th for well being.
21. Spain — Political troubles have solid a shadow over Spain within the final couple of years, however due to high 15 scores for each pure atmosphere and security, it simply misses out on being one of many world’s 20 most affluent nations.
20. Slovenia — In addition to being a thorn within the UK’s aspect on the subject of Brexit, Slovenia is certainly one of Europe’s most affluent nations, helped alongside by the most effective pure atmosphere of any nation on earth, in line with the Legatum Institute.
19. Singapore — Well-known for its standing because the world’s pre-eminent port and as a monetary hub, Singapore can also be a reasonably good place to stay, racking up 2nd place for well being, and 1st for security and safety, on this yr’s Prosperity Index.
18. France — One other nation with a stuttering financial system, France scored effectively throughout the board, however did greatest in its pure atmosphere, completed 4th.
17. United States — Whereas Donald Trump vows to “Make America Nice Once more” the USA has fallen from 11th general final yr, to only 17th in 2016. Regardless of that fall, the world’s greatest financial system ranks 1st for its enterprise atmosphere.
John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports activities/Reuters
16. Belgium — Whereas Belgium has obtained a lot adverse press prior to now yr as the house of the perpetrators of the Paris terror assaults, it is without doubt one of the world’s most affluent nations, rating within the high ten in each the non-public freedom and training sub-indexes.
15. Austria — The small central European nation picks up its greatest sub-index rating for security and safety, coming in ninth of all international locations ranked.
13. Eire — Eire’s high sub-index rating was in private freedom, the place it was fifth. It additionally picked up a high ten end within the training class, coming in seventh.
12. Luxembourg — Well-known as tax haven and the house of EU chief Jean Claude Juncker, Luxembourg is high of the pile for each private freedom and well being globally, in line with the Legatum Institute.
11. Germany — The eurozone’s financial powerhouse completed within the high 10 for all however three of the Prosperity Index’s classes. Its greatest rating was for financial high quality, the place it got here in fifth.
10. United Kingdom — Regardless of Brexit, Britain has jumped on this yr’s Prosperity Index, climbing from 15th. Britain’s greatest was for enterprise atmosphere, the place it was fifth.
eight. Sweden — Simply above its neighbour Denmark, Sweden ranked third within the financial high quality sub-index, and fifth for governance, however nonetheless fell to eighth general from fifth in 2015.
7. Netherlands — Punching effectively above its weight, the Netherlands ranks 2nd in each training and financial high quality, and within the high 5 of two different sub-indexes.
four. Switzerland — Switzerland steadily options on the high of lists just like the Prosperity Index, due to unbelievable training (1st general), and nice healthcare. It was third within the well being sub-index.
2. Norway — For seven consecutive years Norway had been ranked as essentially the most affluent nation on earth by the Legatum Institute, however this yr it loses its crown, with a highest rating of third within the governance sub-index.